ACMH Supporting Future Family Leaders!
ACMH’s dream is that ALL Michigan children and youth with serious emotional disturbance and their families live in safe, welcoming communities with access to needed services and supports.
We know the best way to accomplish this task is to empower parents and youth, strengthen family voice and enhance and expand family driven and youth guided practices by continuing to promote Michigan families as the primary decision maker in the care of their own children and policies which govern the care for all children and youth throughout Michigan.
Our overarching strategy for all of the work that we do is supporting the development of family leaders throughout Michigan by providing information, support, training, leadership and networking opportunities. These opportunities not only support family members to effectively meet the day to day mental health needs of their children; but also to use their ‘voice of experience’ to help advocate for their child and shape and improve mental health services for all children & their families.
ACMH conducts a variety of activities to help develop family leaders across the Michigan, including:
- Hosting local and statewide Parent Leadership Camps & Series
- Hosting Youth Leadership Trainings & Networking Opportunities
- Identifying new parent & youth leaders to connect to leadership and advocacy roles in children’s mental health
- Offering training and education sessions on topics of interest for families in targeted areas of the state to increase connections and networking opportunities for families and improve family and youth capacity for self and systems advocacy
- Conducting training and technical assistance to local communities interested in developing, implementing and supporting Parent Support Groups or other parent leadership opportunities in their community
- Working to create a Statewide Youth Advisory Board in Michigan
ACMH believes that building a strong network of family leaders across Michigan is the most effective strategy to spread awareness about the real issues of children and youth with mental health challenges and their families!