During the early childhood years signs that your child may be struggling with emotional, behavioral or mental health challenges may include:
- Behavior problems in preschool or daycare
- Hyperactivity way beyond what the other kids are doing
- Trouble sleeping
- Persistent nightmares
- Excessive fear, worrying, or crying
- Extreme disobedience or aggression. Because it’s often within a child’s nature to disobey or intrude on a playmate’s space, an excessive degree of this behavior is what should concern you such as deliberate destructiveness or hurting peers or animals.
- Lots of temper tantrums all the time
- Persistent difficulty separating from a parent. It is common for many children to experience separation anxiety at first; there could be a problem if this goes on for months.