How to Get Involved in Legislative Advocacy:
There are several Opportunities for Families to get Involved in Legislative Advocacy, Including:
- Testifying at Legislative Hearings
- Responding to Calls for Action from ACMH or other community organizations
- Communicating with legislators and policy-makers about current issues and how they affect your family and others
- Children’s Mental Health Awareness Month Activities
- Local Legislative Activities
- Visiting your State Representatives and Senators in Lansing
Why Should I Get Involved with Legislative Advocacy?
- Your voice can make a difference and perhaps even change policy!
- Legislator’s want to hear about the issues that affect their constituents.
- They need our knowledge and are not experts on every subject.
- To build a relationship so you can go to them when you need their help.
Ways you Can Communicate with Your Legislators:
- Writing Letters
- Making Phone Calls
- Personal Visit in Lansing or to their local office
- Testifying before a committee
- Attending a legislator’s coffee hour
- Inviting policy-makers to an event that you host
For Additional Information on how to effectively communicate with your Legislators click here. Link to Legislative Advocacy Communication Tip Sheet.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.