Parents Partnering for Change, a training of the Parent Leadership in State Government Initiative training, is starting recruiting for their next two trainings which will be held in:
- Cadillac on May 22nd and 23rd PPC Flyer Cadillac
- Bad Axe on June 6th and 7th PPC Flyer Bad Axe
What is Parent Leadership Training?
The Parent Leadership in State Government (PLISG) initiative offers the Parents Partnering for Change training curriculum. The curriculum trains Michigan parents to use their voice to impact program planning and policy development on local, regional, and state boards and other decision-making bodies.
Training topics include:
- How to tell your family story
- What it means to be a parent leader
- Improving communication skills
- How boards and organizations work
- Effective Meetings & How to Handle ConflictAfter the training, parents are encouraged to put their new skills to use. Parents receive support from a PLISG parent mentor, and can connect with new opportunities for involvement through Facebook® and a Yahoo® group.
Who can apply for the training?
Any parent or caregiver in Michigan who has a child aged birth to 18, who has received public services in Michigan. Priority will be given to those closest to the training site.
Is there a cost for the training?
There is no cost to parents to attend. Parents receive mileage reimbursement, a stipend ($200) for their time, and meals during the training. Hotel may be covered based on travel distance.
How long is the training?
The training is from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm for two days.
Parents must attend both days.
When & Where is it located?
- May 22 & 23, 2017
- Cadillac, MI
Is there childcare available? No, however the project provides reimbursement for childcare needed while at training (up to $50 per day).
Have you ever wanted to use your voice to make a difference? This training teaches you how to get involved in advisory boards or committees. You will learn alongside other parents in this informative and interactive training. The goal of this training is to provide you with new knowledge and skills, as well as to help inspire and motivate you to get involved!
If you have questions please contact:
Michelle Sneathen @ 517-709-8260. [email protected]
Parent Leadership in State Government is a joint initiative between: MI Department of Health and Human Services MI Department of Education Children’s Trust Fund
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.