STEP ONE: Complete the Readiness Documents
Prepaid Inpatient Health Plans/Community Mental Health Agencies interested in bringing Youth Peer Support to their community can begin the process by completing & submitting the following documents:
Youth Peer Support Readiness Plan YPS-Readiness-Plan-10-2018
Organizational Readiness Checklist YPS Organizational Readiness Checklist-fillable.9-2015
Directions: Open, complete and save the above documents and forward the completed documents to Krissy Dristy, Youth Peer Support Project Statewide Coordinator at email@example.com. Once Krissy has received and reviewed the documents she will contact you and then forward the training registration packet.
STEP TWO: Complete the Registration Packet
The following documents must be completed and submitted to Lori Hooker at firstname.lastname@example.org by the designated deadline in order to register a Youth Support Specialist to attend the initial 3-day training:
Training Registration Form YPS-Registration Form
Hiring Agency Expectations Agreement YPS Hiring Agency Expectations
YPS Pre-Training Questions YPS Pre-Training Questions
YPSS Contact Information Form YPSS Contact Information-fillable
Supervisor Contact Information Form YPS Supervisor Contact Information-fillable
Media Release-Emergency Contact Form Media Release Emergency Contact Form – fillable
What is involved in the Youth Peer Support Specialist Training Process?
The Youth Peer Support Specialist training model requires 100% attendance and participation in 3 full days of training, 11 months of individual & group coaching, and Quarterly Professional Development/ Technical Assistance (PD/TA) meetings.
The YPSS Supervisor is also required to attend the final day of the initial training.
Professional Development & Technical Assistance Meetings are held quarterly and Youth Peer Support Specialists meet face to face for on-going learning. Quarterly meetings provide an opportunity for networking with other YPSS’s and technical assistance around barriers with implementation of the model.
Youth Peer Support Specialist Supervision Requirements:
Supervision of the Youth Peer Support Specialist is provided by a CMHSP Child Mental Health Provider who:
- Has direct knowledge and contact with youth receiving Youth Peer Support service.
- Provides clinical direction related to treatment goals.
- Supports clinical staff to integrate YPSS’s into treatment team, development of goals, etc.
Agency Expectations of the Youth Peer Support Project:
It is a requirement that:
- The YPSS be hired & employed by the agency before attending the initial 3-day training.
- All ‘pre-training’ paperwork be completed by the given deadlines.
- All MDHHS requirements for initial training, follow-up technical assistance and coaching for the YPSS and supervisors will be met.
- The YPSS will be provided with work space at the agency and all of the technology needed to successfully perform their job.
- All training expenses (travel, lodging, wages, etc.) for YPSS and supervisor will be paid by the agency.
- Supervisors will attend the final day of the 3-day training and participate in additional TA/training as required by the YPSS model or requested by the Statewide Coordinator.
- Individual supervision will be provided by a Child Mental Health Provider identified by the agency on a bi-weekly basis at a minimum.
- The YPSS will be an active member of the treatment team and will participate in team and planning meetings.
It is strongly recommended that:
- A minimum of two YPSS be hired per agency as this will provide an extra element of support and also broaden the range of strengths, skills, and experiences from which to draw in providing support for youth.
- A minimum number of hours of work per week for each YPSS be predetermined.
- Caseload size be individualized based on need and intensity.
For more information about how to bring the Youth Peer Support service to your Prepaid Inpatient Health Plan/Community Mental Health or to learn more about the Youth Peer Support training process, contact Kristina Dristy, Youth Peer Support Statewide Coordinator at: email@example.com or 517-643-3314.
Youth Peer Support State Contacts:
Youth Peer Support Statewide Coordinator
MDHHS Manager of Programs for Children with Serious Emotional Disturbance
Executive Director, Association for Children’s Mental Health