Supporting our kids and their mental health can be challenging even in the best and most predictable of times. Recent months have brought a lot of unexpected challenges, new realities, as well as, opportunities. ACMH understands that access to quality information, as well as, tips to share information and support our kids through changing times is essential! So we are pleased to share the following resources from trusted community partners on today’s hot topics.
Talking to Kids About Covid-19
- Tips for Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus Child Mind Institute
- How to Explain Coronavirus to a Child with Anxiety ADHD Parenting ADDitude Magazine
- Supporting Our Kids During the Covid-19 Crisis Child Mind Institute
- Talking With Children About the Coronavirus The Fred Rogers Center
- How to Talk About Coronavirus With Kids Understood.org
- Answering Your Child’s Questions During the Coronavirus from ZERO TO THREE
- Multilingual Coloring Book for Explaining Coronavirus from Mindheart
- Raising Healthy Teens Connecting During Covid-19
For additional Covid-19 information including Tips to Survive ‘Home-based Life’ during Covid-19 click here.
Talking to Kids About Race, Racism and Social Justice
EmbraceRace is an organization dedicated to Raising a Generation of Children Who Are Thoughtful, Informed, and Brave About Race. Like ACMH, EmbraceRace was founded by two parents (one Black, the other multiracial Black/White) who set out to create the community and share resources to meet the challenges they face raising children in a world where race matters – Visit their website to learn more or view some of the resources below:
- 16 ways to help children become thoughtful, informed, and BRAVE about race
- 10 tips for teaching and talking to kids about race
- 7 ways to support the young activists in your life!
How to Talk to Your Kids About Racism Video
Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms takes questions along with CNN’s Van Jones and Erica Hill about how to combat racism, and shares a message with kids about how to make a change.
Raising Race Conscious Children Website has a lot of great resources including:
How to Explain Racism to a Child – in 5 steps from Wiki-How to Do Anything